Toasted Banana Bread
with vanilla cream cheese raspberries & honey
Toasted banana bread is another of our guilty pleasures. It is sweet so I like to slather it in salted butter. On weekends we mix up cream cheese and vanilla and serve with scarlet raspberries and a drizzle of honey. It is one of the prettiest brunch dishes.
- Grease a 900g loaf tin. Preheat oven to 180C/Gas4/350F. SERVES8
- Cream the butter and sugar in a food mixer or by hand until pale. Beat in eggs, banana, vanilla. Fold in dry ingredients.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 30-40 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Mix the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla together until smooth.
- Toast the slices of banana bread on a tray under the grill on both sides. Watch it carefully as it is sugary it can turn black quickly. Spread with cream cheese and scatter over about 8 raspberries on each slice. Zig zag over some drizzly honey.
For the bread
- 125g unsalted butter, softened 325g caster sugar 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 bananas, very ripe andblack
- 1⁄4 tsp vanilla bean paste 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 4 slices banana bread, cut into B thick slices
- 200g cream cheese
- 1/8 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 punnet of raspberries
- 75g runny honey